Member of Parliament for North East Bedfordshire 2001 – 2019.
Member of Her Majesty’s Most Honourable Privy Council.
UK Commissioner for International Commission for Missing Persons
Member of Parliament for Bury North 1983 - 1997
Bury Grammar School / St John's College Oxford
Alistair’s lengthy and varied front bench career in both Government and Opposition has included:
- Minister of State at the Department of Social Security
- Shadow Minister for Communities and Local Government
- Opposition Assistant Chief Whip
- Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Minister of State for Community & Social Care, Department of Health
- Minister of State for the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and Minister of Statefor DFID with responsibly for the Middle East and North Africa 2017 – March 2019
Alistair is married to Eve Burt, has two grown up children and a granddaughter. He has run ten London Marathons, and watches football whenever possible.